Walnut is a premium timber. It is a specialist hardwood. The grain is straight but it can be irregular. Walnut timber is really decorative. It carries a lot of design for the interior. It has a moderate natural lustre. Walnut timber is moderately durable. It is medium density.
Advantages of Walnut
- Walnut gives vivid highlight to the grain.
- It works well with machine and hand tools.
- Walnut timber is good for turning and carving.
- The right glues and polishes can be successfully done in walnut timber.
- It stains and finishes well.
- Walnut timber responds well to steam bending.
- It has a good dimensional stability.
- It is shocking resistant.
- It has a fine texture.
- Overall walnut has a good strength.
- It has low stiffness.
Disadvantages of Walnut
- Walnut is hard.
- It has been reported as a “sensitizer”.
- It includes eye and skin irritation.
- Walnut timber is high in the prices for a domestic species.
- It is susceptible to insect attack. Planer tear out can sometimes be a problem in walnut timber./li>
- It has a faint, mild odor while being worked.
- It has a medium maintenance movement.
- Walnut timber has difficulty to treat acid contents.
- Walnut timber finds the problem with density.
- It is not termite resistant.
- It is hard.
REFERENCE TAKEN FROM WWW.CIVILTODAY.COM