Birch is a great craft wood. It is an important source of hardwood timber. Birch is of many types like-yellow birch, white birch etc. Yellow birch is commonly used which is also known as grey birch, or swamp birch. It is a light reddish-brown colour. Birch gives low natural lustre.
Figure Source: ig-mod3building.
Advantages of Birch
- Birch is economical in most cases.
- Inner birch is aromatic.
- Birch is long-lasting.
- It is usually heavy, hard and strong.
- It is always easy to work with a birch and glues and it finishes well.
- Birch gives widely ranging appearances.
- Birch is suitable for high-quality furniture. Birch has great durability.
- Birch is used for creating strong plywood.
- Birch is waterproof.
- Birch can easily support a large structure .
- It is used in- boxes, crates, skateboards, furniture, and other wood items.
- Birch gives wavy fine texture.
Disadvantages of Birch
- Birch is perishable, readily rot and decay.
- Birch is susceptible to insect attack.
- Birch can cause tear-outs during machine operations.
- Birch is reported as “sensitizer” which includes respiratory irritation.
- Birch is slow-growing.
- Birch is harder than other hardwoods.
REFERENCE TAKEN FROM WWW.CIVILTODAY.COM