ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES OF PRETESTED CEMENT CONCRETE MIX
Pretested cement concrete is the most durable, reliable and strongest concrete that is widely used for the construction of mega buildings and bridges. It has made significant contributions to the construction industry, the precast manufacturing industry, and the cement
ADVANTAGES OF PRETESTED CEMENT CONCRETE MIX
Followings are the advantages of prestressed concrete:
- Longer span length increases untroubled floor space and parking facilities.
- Thinner slabs, that are important for high rise building as with the same amount of cost, it can construct more slabs than traditional thicker slabs.
- As the span length is larger, fewer joints are needed than traditional RC structures.
- Because of fewer joints, maintenance cost also becomes reduced during the design life as joints are the major locus of weakness in a concrete building.
- Long-term Durability.
- Better finishing of placed concrete
- It requires a smaller amount of construction materials.
- It resists stresses are higher than normal RCC structures and is free from cracks.
DISADVANTAGES OF PRETESTED CEMENT CONCRETE MIX
Followings are the disadvantages of prestressed concrete:
- It requires high strength concrete and high tensile strength steel wires.
- The main disadvantage is construction requires additional special equipment like jacks, anchorage, etc.
- It requires highly skilled workers under skilled supervision.
- Construction cost is little higher than RCC structures.